Favorite recent and insightful quote I have read recently:

Favorite quote I have recently read: "The word temple comes from the Latin templum, which signifies an extended open space that has been marked out for the observation of the sky. In what manner is such a space marked out? According to Dr. Hugh Nibley, the word templum, "designates a building specifically designed for interpreting signs in the heavens--a sort of observatory where one gets one's bearings on the universe." The root "tem-" in Greek and Latin denotes a "cutting" or intersection of two lines at right angles, the point where the "cardo" and "decumanus" cross, hence where the four regions come together." Matthew Brown - "The Gate of Heaven"

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Information they wish they had known - from the Cordons

Welcome Bro. and Sis. Fisher.

We are looking forward to you joining us at the Lima Temple. We are really enjoying this great experience. This is our first mission together and my husband knows Spanish, but I had nothing when I got here. We have been here about a year and I still have very little. I have got the ordinances and a small amount of conversation. I know that I have missed a great deal of my associations with the sweet sisters because I can't understand them.

Is this your first mission together? Do you know Spanish? When do you come? We have heard several dates.

There are a few things I wish I had known before I came, so I will share them with you. First the lists of things to bring are not very accurate. As I remember there were two for us to look at. The one for the young missionaries is totally off and the one for temple is a little over on some things. We wish we had more casual clothes. We only brought one or two casual outfits. We spend half of the day in the temple and the rest at home. I have been living in my warm winter robe because I don't have any warm casual clothes to wear. So, it would be nice to have a few pairs of pants and blouses that are comfortable. It think it said three dresses. Well, I am only using two. One each week of a shift. We change shifts every two weeks so I just rotate them. We have a nice washer and dryer so our laundry is easy to do. We have had no trouble with keeping our whites white.

We also needed to bring a full supply of ibuprofen and other over the counter stuff we use. Makeup etc. is more expensive here if they have it. Prescription meds are available here over the counter and cost less. We did bring our prescription meds for the whole time.

Also, we both have lost weight. The average loss is about 10 pounds within the first two months or so. I lost 40 and all of my blouses and skirts sort of hang on me. There are nice ladies who sew here and we are having some things made. We buy he fabric and show them the article we want to copy or a picture and they do a great job. It is very inexpensive too. The men have suits made here that are very nice.

The grocery store does have canned veggies but they are so expensive. There is very little prepared food, so we have enjoyed fresh everything. I think that may be why we lost so much weight. Anyway, I brought some recipes I use at home and they are not good here. No creamed soups, or other things that make them good. We find substitutes and make things taste good, but not the same. I feel like a newlywed learning all over again. The ovens here do not have a thermostat and are not insulated, so the head goes everywhere and is not even. I did have an oven thermometer sent and it helps.

If you have any questions we are more than happy to answer them. We are very excited to have another English speaking couple here. We just got one to replace a couple who went home in June and I guess you are our replacement. That is a strange thing to be thinking about.

Thanks, Kay Cordon

No comments:

Post a Comment