Favorite recent and insightful quote I have read recently:

Favorite quote I have recently read: "The word temple comes from the Latin templum, which signifies an extended open space that has been marked out for the observation of the sky. In what manner is such a space marked out? According to Dr. Hugh Nibley, the word templum, "designates a building specifically designed for interpreting signs in the heavens--a sort of observatory where one gets one's bearings on the universe." The root "tem-" in Greek and Latin denotes a "cutting" or intersection of two lines at right angles, the point where the "cardo" and "decumanus" cross, hence where the four regions come together." Matthew Brown - "The Gate of Heaven"

Monday, January 10, 2011

Our trip to Gamarra

Gamarra is a well known shopping area and part of Lima metro area, though I am not certain what the specific name of the city it is located in.  I read in one account there were over 10,000 proprietors and stores there. It is unlike any place I have ever been in terms of a shopping experience.  It is as though eBay suddenly came to Peru and set up shop in brick and mortar locations. In Gamarra there exists only textiles, clothes, and anything associated with the textile trade.  We found a store that featured shirts for the large and tall, meaning they had 2XL short sleeve shirts of which I bought five of them and two ties for all under $50.00 US.  Mr. Mac in Bountiful would have sold me the same quality merchandise for about $150.00.  We'll go back again as it is such a fascinating place.  
Not a very crowded Monday AM in Gamarra
Battery powered BP on the sidewalk
I had my BP checked by a young student nurse who was taking blood pressure readings on the street for 1 Peruvian Sole or less than 30 cents.  I could not resist as I have not checked it since I left Doc Shields office for the pre-induction mission physical. It was a whopping 104/76. I think that compares with my kids. I attribute my new found health to regular batches of chicha morada I make and drink, the walking we do a lot of, but most importantly the very pleasant place nearly every day we report to work at, the temple here in Lima. Stress levels are considerably at a low ebb and likely to continue for the next 20 months.

We inquired of the taxi driver Pedro if he was hungry and could he recommend a good place for lunch.  We all went to this place called Huancahuasi on the Javier Prado Calle and I ordered up alpaca, while RA had the deep fried cuy. Our new friend Pedro shared his cordero or lamb chops with us and they were very good too. Not sure when we go back what I would order, maybe more alpaca but maybe the lamb chops.
Some sweet chicha with Pedro 
Bebe Cuy on RA's plate
My Alpaca Lomo Saltado dish with at least four kinds of potatoes
We ended our shopping day at the Jockey Plaza looking for a VGA adapter at the I-Store and noticed this delightful and well crafted pewter chess set in the window as we were browsing.  It features the Chillenos versus the Peruanos, (written about in a previous post), in the Pacific War between those two countries. I have seen sets commemorating the Conquistadores vs. the Inca which I would like to bring one home.
Chile versus Peru in 19th Century Period Uniforms

2 comments:

  1. Is that donut-shaped thing on the plate rice?

    Congrats on the blood pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is. They do interesting things here with rice into stacking it and molding it high in different shapes, especially the Chifa (Chinese) restaurants.

    ReplyDelete